Monday, June 23, 2008

24 Weeks

Everything is going really well! Not much to report. Feeling great and starting to pick up on Anna's schedule. She seems to rise right around breakfast time and then is relatively calm throughout the day, but I think we definitely have a night owl on our hands! The kicks and punches are most definitely incresing! I can't wait for Brad to be able to feel her moving!

We have our first baby shower this weekend in Danville, so I am looking forward to visiting with family and friends in my home town. I will try to post pictures next week! Still working on finding that USB cable for my camera! Next doc appt is July 17th, though we may have another ultrasound around July 7th. We will keep you all posted!

Your Baby’s Growth at 24 weeks

Your baby is approximately 1 1/2 pounds and is 10" in length. This is an active time, with lots of movement going on.

Your baby's brain is really beginning to mature, his lungs are forming and will be producing sufacant in the near future. Surfactant keeps the air sacs in our lungs from collapsing and from sticking together upon exhalation, thus allowing us to breathe properly. Your baby is almost completely formed, and is beginning to deposit fat on his or her body. Newborns have a difficult time regulating body temperature, the fat helps to retain heat.

Babies born at this point have some chances of survival with very special care. They will be in the Intensive Care Unit, usually until their due date. A major problem with premature babies is lung development. If preterm labor is detected early enough a steroid shot can sometimes be given to enhance lung development.

2 comments:

Mills said...

Yea! Everything is on schedule! Can't wait to see the pics from the shower. . .wish I could be there!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.